Welcome to My Blog

Welcome to my blog about the Greek myth of Prometheus. This blog is for my college work, nothing else.

Saturday 21 May 2011

Day 6: Taking Things Further II



This is my piece of plaster that I made at the beginning, but this time I carved out the symbol of fire from the image I put onto the plate earlier on. I did this by first putting the plaster into some water for two minutes to soften it, followed by getting a small knife used for ceramics to carve out the image. Once I carved the image into the plaster I started to cut away at it with a chisel then smoothed it over to create the image of fire onto the tablet. I did think about adding from ink to colour it but I think it would’ve ruined it if I did. The images below show how the image I did on the plate is the same as the one I did on the plaster, and the other image is a close up of the plaster image.
I really enjoyed doing this and had a lot of fun while carving it out, although it took a lot of time and precision. As of yet I'm not sure how to take this further but I would really like to. This piece was really inspired by Jennifer McCurdy by the way her work would be nice and smooth with using porcelain. Although I used plaster, there are definate smililarties between the two materials. They're both smooth, white, and used in ceramics so I might go further into ceramics for this piece.



No comments:

Post a Comment